Oconomowoc Rotary honored more than 90 Oconomowoc High School National Honor Society members Monday at a special luncheon at Olympia Resort. Initially launched by the late Rotarian Chuck Herro, Rotary honors NHS students annually with a luncheon, special guest speaker, and recognition through the James W. Schmitz Math and Science Awards. To date, Rotary has awarded more than $80,000 toward those earning top rankings in math and science courses.
International journalist Ethan Casey (above at right) addressed NHS students at Oconomowoc Rotary’s annual banquet at Olympia Resort. Each student received two of author Casey’s books “Home Free” and “Bearing the Bruise.”
Calling each NHS student “intelligent and self-directed,” Casey challenged students to overcome the commonplace, break through personal barriers, expand horizons and embrace the unexpected. Each student also received two of Casey’s books Monday.
Judy Schmitz spoke on behalf of her husband Jim, who started the Math and Science award program decades before to recognize those students excelling in math and science.
- The Rotary Vocational Fair is filled! See those who enlisted Friday, May 20 from 12:15 to 2:45 p.m. at Nature Hill, addressing 8th graders.
- Highway 16 litter pickup is Saturday, May 7 at 8 a.m. at Schwefel’s parking lot. Scouts will be joining Rotarians.
- Remember the LakeWalk Rotary group with leader Dave Breckenfelder May 7 in the a.m. at Fowler Park. Contact Dave to participate.
- Thanks to those who helped with the Oconomowoc River cleanup! And to those who assisted with Shorehaven Bingo!
- Changing of the Guard dinner at Oconomowoc Lake Club June 27 starting with 6 p.m. cocktails. Evening wear encouraged. Say farewell to Mike and bid a warm welcome to new Pres. Glenn Hanon!